Care & Maintenance
Stainless Steel Pool Rails and Ladders
Stainless steels are iron-based alloys that contain chromium, which combines with oxygen to form an invisible protective film on the surface; however it is not entirely stainless. With proper care, your stainless steel pool rails and ladders will provide years of service.
- Regularly inspect and thoroughly clean mounting hardware, replacing when needed. Corrosion is common in crevices, weld points, under gaskets, and bolt heads, where small amounts of liquid can collect and become stagnant.
- Routine cleaning is the only way to maintain the protective film on your stainless steel pool rails and ladders and prevent rust. Rust and corrosion occur when contaminants become trapped and embedded in the protective film.
- Use warm water, a gentle soap or detergent and a soft cloth to briskly rub along the polish lines of the steel. Always be sure to thoroughly rinse after cleaning.
- So-called "stainless steel cleaners" may scratch the surface and contain bleach, which can dull the surface
For stubborn spots: Allen Polish, Arcal 20, Bon Ami®, Cameo Stainless Steel Cleaner, Copper-Brite, Highlite, Lac-O-New, Liquid Nu Steel, Lumin Cleaner, O'Cedar Cream Polish, Penny-Brite, Revere Ware Cleaner®, Sta-Clean, Stainless Shine and Twinkle.
For extra-stubborn spots (these may scratch the surface): 3M® Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish, Ajax®, Allchem, Concentrated Cleaner, Comet®, Goddard's Stainless Steel Care, Old Dutch, Soft Scrub®, Zud Restoro.
Powder Coated Pool Rails & Ladders
Follow the above procedures for inspecting and maintaining stainless steel pool rails and ladders that are powder coated. For stubborn spots, you may use Formula 409.
SealedSteel Vinyl Coated Pool Rails & Ladders
Follow the above procedures for inspecting and maintaining SealedSteel rails and ladders. To clean, you may use alcohol or other common household cleaners such as Formula 409, Lysol® or Pine-Sol®.
- When hosing down your deck, rinse your slide free of any dust, dirt or other debris that may have accumulated.
- Be sure all connections are secure, and tighten hardware if necessary.
- "Intended Use" and "Warning" labels should be maintained. If they become faded or unreadable, they should be replaced. Additional labels are available from S.R.Smith upon request.
- You may also use a non-abrasive soap and water when possible. Always try a test spot of a product before applying to a larger area and read the label instructions on any cleaner carefully before applying it to the slide.
You may safely use: Windex with Ammonia®, Formula 409®, Fantastik®, Soft Scrub®, Scrubfree, Tackle®, Grass Plus®, Topjob®, Tilex®.
Do not use: Dow with Scrubbing Bubbles®, Lysol® Disinfectant, Ajax® Cleanser, Windex® with vinegar, White Cap®, Ajax® Liquid, Soft Scrub®.
With the proper maintenance, your powder coated products will look great and remain rust-free.
- To clean, use non-abrasive soap and water. Avoid harsh chemicals and disinfectants. Always read the label instructions on any cleaner before applying it to a surface.
- Periodically check the structure for scratching or chips and contact S.R.Smith to purchase a powder coat touch-up kit if damage is present.
- If rust is present, clean the surface with a non-abrasive cleaner and contact S.R.Smith to purchase a powder coat touch-up kit.
To preserve the appearance and durability of your S.R.Smith Velocity Starting Blocks' TrueTread surface, follow these regular maintenance procedures, and always immediately after high use periods of time (i.e. swim meets).
Apply warm water and a gentle soap or detergent to the TrueTread surface and allow it to sit for a short period of time. Follow by scrubbing with a soft brush to remove any debris and dirt that may have built up around the raised diamond pattern surface. Ensure the TrueTread is kept wet throughout the process. Never scrub in a dry condition. Once the surface is scrubbed clean, hose down with clear, warm water. Important note: Steam or high pressure equipment should not be used, nor should harsh detergents containing ingredients such as ammonia or bleach.